100th Anniversary of the 1st Aero Squadron's Visit to Fort Worth.
Presentation Saturday, November 21st at 12 noon.
19, 1915, Captain Benjamin Foulois, commander of the 1st Aero
Squadron, and five pilots left Fort Sill, Oklahoma for a new flying field at
Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio. It was
the first time in the squadron’s two-and-a-half year history they moved their
aircraft from one location to another by air.
The squadron was the only organized flying unit in the US Army.
Join us Saturday, November 21st at 12 noon for a presentation about this 1915 event given by museum historian Bill Morris.
Fort Worth Aviation Museum in The News
Nice article about us in the Texas Homes For Sale.
You can read it here.
BroncoFest X Wrap Up
year's Bronco gathering was very special, and not just because it
marked the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the North American
Rockwell Boeing OV-10 Bronco.
All services were represented, along with former North American Rockwell
employees and the return of Bronco Demo Team members from Brussels,
Visitors took part in a variety of activities, including a visit to
Lockheed Martin, a Segway tour of the Stockyards, a rodeo and a history
bus tour. Saturday we held a big family picnic and re-dedicated our Air
Force OV-10A #825.
The highlight of the weekend was the awards dinner on Saturday night. Award recipients included:
Ed Gillespie, the first OV-10 test pilot, inducted into the Bronco Hall of Fame, posthumously.
Jeff Clements and Vince Sapero were recognized as Founders of the OV-10 Bronco Association.
Tom Kemp was awarded the Chairman's Award for his work during Jim Hodgson's absence.
The President's Award went to Donna Hodgson for her work with the docents and gift shop, and John Ezrow for his work with docents, the development committee and recruiting interns.
Board of Director Awards were given to:
Ashby Shoop for his work on the Violent Skies paper.
Vince Sapero, and Joe Wayne for their work on the Air Force OV-10.
Ben Guttery for his collection management work.
Golden Wrenches were awarded to Jim Bloomberg, Steve Bloomberg and Jake Jacobson for their work on the OV-10 Bronco and other aircraft.
The Bronco Buster Award, our highest award, voted on by the membership, went to the Bronco Demo Team leader Tony de Bruyn. Tony is the first international Bronco Buster award winner.
Congratulations all! We are looking forward to BroncoFest XI in 2017 already.
Barron Field Placed on Historic Fort Worth's Most Endanger Places List for 2015
Each year since 2004 Historic Fort Worth, Inc. has named local site to its Most Endangered Places list. For the second year in a row, we have nominated an historic aviation landmark for consideration. Last year, two World War I sites associated with Hicks Field were selected. This year Barron Field was nominated and selected for the Most Endangered List.
The Historic Fort Worth listing reads as follows.
"Fort Worth’s aviation history is a unique treasure that is still not fully understood or interpreted. Among
other distinctions, Fort Worth was home to the first commercial airline
in the US, the site of the world’s only helium production plant, was
headquarters of the US Army Air Forces Training Command during World War
II, and was the departure and arrival point for the first non-stop
around-the-world flight. Fort Worth was also home to the most US Army
Air Service pilot training fields during World War I, including Barron
Field, constructed between September and November 1917. The one square
mile flying field was a training site for American Air Service and
Canadian Royal Flying Corps pilots.
Training at Barron Field ceased in mid-1919
and the field became an Army aviation equipment storage and disposal
site. In August 1921, the government sold all but approximately 100
acres of the property along the west side of the field. The War
Department maintained a lease on this property until 1924 and used it as
a landing field to support cross-country flights by US Army Air Service
pilots and the Post Office airmail planes. It was also used as Fort
Worth’s first municipal airport.
Buildings and hangars were constructed along
what is now Everman Parkway and spanned the northern portion of the
flying field. This property could contain significant remnants of Barron
Field, including foundations for as many as 4 of the 15 hangars on the
field as well as foundations for the water tower, aero repair, school,
aero supply, quartermaster supply, fire station, administration
building, oil reclamation building, guard house, and portions of two
barracks and a mess hall. Remnants of two pump houses and the water and sewer system may also be present.
This 12-acre site may be the last remaining
piece of any WWI flying field in the country. Though the buildings no
longer stand, the site is pivotal to interpreting this chapter of Fort
Worth's history. In addition to the physical connection to interpreting
history, Barron Field is an important archaeological resource with the
potential to help us understand what life was like for the pilots
training on this site."
This is an important first step in preserving our aviation heritage and we appreciate our nomination being selected for this year.
History not told is heritage lost.
OV-10/FACM General Donation
Click on the left to help the OV-10 Bronco Association and FAC Museum or on the right to make a General Donation.
What You Can Do To Help
Help us with our SAVE-A-PLANES
You can click on one of the links below to download a flyer or pledge form or click the PayPal DONATE button below and send a donation right away.
But please help us SAVE-A-PLANE.